Tuesday, July 6, 2010

No Scaredy Cat

I think it's okay to be nervous about or scared of things.  The way I look at it, I don't know what most things are!  But when I come across something I don't understand and it scares me, I always try to get a little closer to it to see if I can understand maybe what it is or how it moves or what it smells like; that way, when I see it again, I know I don't have to be scared of it any more.

There are a lot of things that used to scare me that don't any more.  Mom loves lists, so I'm making one just for her.

stairs
grass
tall grass
cars
little kids
trucks
laughing
can tabs
talking on the phone (people on the phone, not me on the phone)
doors
little hills
bugs that move fast
carpet
thresholds
my toys
curbs
space
"sit"
movies
landscaping rocks
the kitchen light

I think that's it.

I have to say one extra thing about stairs.  I used to be afraid of them.  All of them!  Both the kinds that go up AND the kinds that go down.  I had to creep up on them, and then move very slowly, because I was sort of hoping that they wouldn't notice me; but a lot of times they tripped me up, anyway.

Now I love stairs.  Love them!  There are some stairs just in front of our house and when we get home from our walks Mom lets me RUN up the stairs and then RUN back down the stairs and then RUN back up one more time just because it's so fun!!  And sometimes on our walks we go to the library that's close to our house.  It has three doors and all three doors have stairs in front of them and every time we go there I get to go up all three sets of stairs.

Today on our first walk there were no stairs, but there were lots of ducks.  I didn't mess with the ducks, but I quivered...Mom says when I can do "come" like a Very Good dog, that's when I can go play with the ducks.  Oh!  And I also found a HUGE puddle of water that I can't wait to splash in.  I wanted to jump in so bad today I was quivering for that too.  It's fun to quiver from being happy and excited and not from being scared.  And then, on our second walk, we got to go to the library, and then come home; so many stairs, so much fun.

How fun it is learning not to be scared of things any more.  What a great day today was.

No comments:

Post a Comment