Thursday, July 8, 2010

Things A Hot Dog Does

It is really hot.  Really, really, really, really, really hot.  Mom says the heat makes me logy.  I wish this word rhymed with doggy.  Since it doesn't, I don't care if the heat makes me it or not.  I've figured out some things that make it easier to put up with being really, really, really, really, really hot like this.

First of all, I don't think we should have to go out in it, but Mom says I have to.  I try to "find it" really close to the door, but she still makes us go farther.  She calls it stretching our legs.  I think she should stretch her legs without me.  But since I have to go too, here is what I do.  I pick where we go (the library! that house with the big black dog! my favorite bumpy sidewalk! that cool rosebush!).  Then, when she feels we've gone a good enough way, I simply stop pretending that I'm interested in what I'm smelling and turn around, and then we go home.  Mom thinks it's funny that I'll make a U-turn right in the middle of the sidewalk.  I don't really know why.

After we come inside, I figured out another way to keep cool.  There is this awesome-sauce room in our house that's very small, but just the right size for me.  Most of it has this wonderful cool smooth floor, but part of it has a little dog rug (Mom calls it something else - a towelmat, or a showerthingie, or something).  This way I can do my favorite things: lay on a floor that feels good to my skin AND rearrange something.

Mom says she doesn't know why I'm so hot all the time, that I'm a Southern dog and that I should be used to it.  I think that's a silly reason not to be hot.  She also says that it could be much worse and then says something about "central air".  That's another silly thing.  How can air be central?  It's everywhere.

The great news is, Mom says she's got a new way for me to keep cool.  Tomorrow - I'm going to have a bath!!  A nice cool one.  I thought I remembered not liking "bath", but I'm pretty excited about the thought of cooling down with one.  I can't wait to try it.  Plus I get a new thing of my very own to rearrange called a "towel".  I think I'm going to love this "bath" thing.

I am teaching Mom to pet me more and more each day.  This morning I showed her how fun it is to wake up with dog paws on your chest!  She loved it.  I can't decide whether to do the same thing tomorrow or surprise her with something new.

I drank lots of water, I didn't sleep in the sun, we got to go out in the rain for a minute (I liked the wet on my paws), and Mom gave me lots of treats to do things I already know how to do anyway, like "sit" and "chill out" and "heel" and "Henry".  Oh, and I've almost got my Garfield's head all the way off.  Today was such a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment